Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Seattle Loves Soccer

Seattle has two big sports teams:  Seahawks and Sounders.  Football and futbol. Seattle no longer has a pro basketball team and the Mariners, well, who cares about baseball anyway unless you're at Wrigley field with a beer in your hand.

Now, there is a big difference between soccer in Chicago (Fire) and soccer in Seattle (Sounders).  I've never seen a Chicago Fire game and never cared to.  It simply doesn't have a big following.  Ever since I arrived in Seattle, all I've heard about are the Seahawks and the Sounders.

Speaking of differences, here's something for the folks at home - Seattle doesn't celebrate St. Patrick's Day.  At least not the way Chicago does.  The reason people are wearing green in the pictures is because it's a Sounders' color.  But I digress...

One week into the start of the season, I went to my first Major League Soccer game. The Sounders play at CenturyLink, the same field where the Seahawks play.  It is right in the heart of the city.  I went to the game with two friends and a few of their friends. We started with a little preparty where I celebrated St. Patrick's Day in my family's fashion - green beer. 
After we loaded and unloaded the bus into the city, we found the Sounders Parade walking through the streets.  Yes, there is a coordinated parade of people singing songs, chanting, and cheering as they walk to the stadium.
The weather was fantastic (the rain held out for us!) and the seats were great.  The Sounders ended up losing, but overall, the day itself was a win.  
Bonus!  We got to hear both anthems - sung by a very talented man!
With Dave and Melissa!

No comments:

Post a Comment