Sunday, October 5, 2014

Rock Climbing in Smith

Find the things that you love to do and if they are sustainable then do them at the highest level of intensity possible. Life is too short to waste on bitter rind, seeds, and stems. Tilt your head back and guzzle the sweet nectars of life at a brisk quenching rate, as quick as your throat will allow. Why settle for anything less than ambrosia when you only have one life to live in this world. Pick out the tastiest morsels and let the less stimulating bits fall by the wayside. -Stas Gray


Labor Day weekend was spent reintroducing my body and soul to rock climbing. It had been two years since my last outdoor climb and at least 10 months since my last climb in a gym. I was psyched. Nervous, but psyched. 

Kristina, Theresa, and I shipped out Friday afternoon. It was a drive with the classics as everyone brought their favorite old school CD's. Special thanks to NSYNC, Backstreet Boys, Avril Lavigne, and NOW for the flashbacks! A short seven hours later, we arrived in Smith Rock State Park!
I bought this tent in 2005 for a Relay for Life event that was rained out. I was too lazy to return it. Who knew, nine years later, it would still be getting used!!
Theresa's amazing shot of the view from our tent - Smith Rock & Snake River. Does NOT get any better than that!
Friday night was spent enjoying our stunning view, dinner and drinks in the campground's common area, and a fairly early time bedtime. Smith Rock is abundant with juniper trees and sage bushes. It was simply refreshing to walk out of the tent, or get to the top of a climb, and just breathe it all in.

Saturday morning began with a hearty breakfast and a 20 min trek to our climbing spot. I'd insert a lot of technical information and route names here, but well, I don't know it. Here's what I can tell you. I got in five climbs and it felt great (it also felt like I hadn't been climbing in months). Kristina or Theresa led the routes, I top-roped, and then Theresa or Kristina would clean the route.

Teacher #1, Kristina
Fun climb!
Kristina taught me how to repel in preparation for my first multi-pitch the next day.
Teacher #2, Theresa
I've heard stories of women climbing in the sunshine and the heat. We had our moment. For just a moment. The weather wasn't exactly what you'd call "warm." We also had rain and winds. Nonetheless, we climbed on!
Awesome juniper!!
After hours of climbing, belaying, and repeat, we made our way back to camp. Then, it was a quick clothes-change and we were on our way into Bend for some 10 Barrel beer and drool-worthy nachos.
The morning of Sunday, August 31 was an early one. On the trail by 6:30 am, we had our sights on a multi-pitch called First Kiss and we wanted to get there before anybody else. We hiked up and over a never-ending canyon (called Misery Ridge Trail, appropriately) just to hike back down the other side. Our efforts paid off and we secured our spot five minutes before another climbing group came along. Win!

A multi-pitch is, simply stated, multiple climbs put together. You climb up to a spot, and then start your next climb from that spot, and so on. First Kiss is a five-pitch climb. Kristina or Theresa would lead the route, I would top rope with a second rope behind me (that gets heavy!), and then Theresa or Kristina would clean the route and meet us at the belay station. Admittedly, I got the best end of the deal as I stood on the ledges for the least amount of time. On a windy day, it got cold up there! 
At our second belay station. So close to the sunshine, and yet, so far.
Happy climber!
Belay hands!
Theresa and I at the third belay station. 
Close up!
Monkey face with a gorgeous blue sky!
Theresa at the 4th belay station. Excellent rope management!
Crazy people slacklining between features. Others would jump off the ledge and swing into nothing.
The rewarding view from the fifth and final belay station!
Kristina belaying Theresa up the last pitch.
SO, we've made it to the top! Now what. Well, if you're the two groups we had to wait for to finish First Kiss, you walk off. Grab your gear, put on your hiking boots and walk back to the trail. Not us. Not these ladies. We rappelled down. Five pitches up, four rappels down, continued rope management. I was very happy for my rappel lesson the day before that gave me confidence to rappel this climb. What a feeling!

THE SUN FINALLY FOUND US!!!
What you can't see here is my incredibly uncomfortable hanging position. The legs were shaking!
The best part of the descent was rappelling through a cave that you wouldn't even know was there. While I don't have pictures of me doing it, here's one from Kristina's second trip to Smith Rock. I'm sure it smelled just as much like bird poop on our trip as it did then. 
My final repel down. This was just after coming out of the cave!
And then, we had the hike back. Tired legs and happy, but tired, minds. We hiked our hour+ back to camp and hit the road.
My rebirth as a climber!
After tear-down, we drove to camping just outside of Mt. Hood. We met up with friends Casey, Bruce, Tony, and Jill. Grilled cheese and s'mores reigned king around a smokey campfire under the stars. Then, four ladies bunked up in my beloved tent and I never slept better. 

Late Labor Day morning, well-rested and fed, we headed up to Mt. Hood. Everyone but yours truly took advantage of the weather and went skiing. Satisfied with my activity for the weekend, I opted to spend my day in the lodge drinking mimosas, writing postcards, and reading. Happy Labor Day to me!
In front of the Timberline lodge.
My tent mates and women who can rip!
Our adventures ended at a delicious joint for lunch, followed by a long ride back home. Kristina power napped through the first few hours while Theresa and I filtered through the remainder of our flash-back CD's. All in all, a pretty stellar weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment